In memory of Josiah Mackey Reese, my Maternal 3rd Great-Grandfather on the REESE branch.
- Pennsylvania Marriages, 1852-1968, (Sarah J. Reese marriage) Cert #954170.
- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Pennsylvania Veterans Burial Cards, 1950-2010; Series Number: Series 4
- The National Archives at Washington, D.C.; Washington, D.C.; Record Group Title: Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs, 1773 - 2007; Record Group Number: 15; Series Title: U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
- Pennsylvania, Veterans Burial Cards, 1777-2012
- Susan Shaner's genealogy blog. [Link]
- 1850 U.S. Federal Census Franklin, Lycoming, Pennsylvania [Link]
- 1860 U.S. Federal Census Franklin, Lycoming, Pennsylvania [Link]
- 1870 U.S. Federal Census Franklin, Lycoming, Pennsylvania [Link]
- 1880 U.S. Federal Census Davidson, Sullivan, Pennsylvania [Link]
- 1890 U.S. Veteran's Census Davidson, Sullivan, Pennsylvania [Link]
- 1900 U.S. Federal Census Turbot, Northumberland, Pennsylvania [Possible match. See Link]
- 1910 U.S. Federal Census Jordan, Lycoming, Pennsylvania [Link]
Genealogy is my hobby and the information provided here is a work in progress. I have loads of information to add and new finds are continually being discovered. If you have any corrections, additions, or comments to contribute, please use the comment box below. Visit the Latest Updates page to see when this Ancestor Profile page is updated.
Josiah Mackey Reese
Honorable Soldier of the Civil War
Maps & Research Links:
1832 Feb 25
Columbia County, Pennsylvania
1856 Jan 1
1911 June 17
Franklin, Lycoming County, PA
Stone Heap Cemetery (Franklin Bethel)
Franklin, Lycoming, Pennsylvania
Josiah M. Reese was born on the 25th of February, 1832, in Columbia County, Pennsylvania. He was a son of Abraham Reese & Sarah Elizabeth Rider. He served in the Union’s Army in the Civil War from the 9th of September, 1864, to the 22nd of June, 1865, as a Private in Company D, 203rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He married Effie Rachel Shaner on New Year’s Day, 1856. Effie was born on the 6th of February, 1841, in Pennsylvania, the daughter of Jacob Shaner and Mary M. Dugan. She died on the 17th of June, 1907, and Josiah died exactly four years later, on the 17th of June, 1911, at the age of 79. He is buried in Franklin Stone Heap Cemetery in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania.
Josiah Mackey Reese & Effie Rachel Shaner were the parents of my ancestor,
Peter Milton Reese (1858-1936)
William Henry Reese (1860-bef. 1950)
Wesley John Reese (1861-1931)
Sarah Jane Reese (1867-1942)
Harvey J. Reese (1870-1939)
Clinton George Reese (1872-1963)
Maynard Washington Reese (1874-1947)
Mary A. Reese (1878-1942)
Charles E. Reese (1880- )
Hannah E. Reese (1883-1951)
These three are unconfirmed children of Josiah and Effie:
James McClellan Reese (1863-1931), born 22 Jul 1863 and died in 1931.
David Elias Reese (1865-1945)
Records, photos, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of Josiah Mackey Reese:
I chose AncestryDNA for my DNA test. You can get yours on Amazon and have it in your hands in a couple days! Click here!
Your tributes, comments, corrections and additions are welcome!
Please login to leave a comment. Then reload this page!