In memory of Bradford D. Shirley, my Maternal 5th Great-Grandfather on the HARVEY branch.
- U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970, Vol. 137.
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedule 1880, Lisle, Broome, New York, p. 1.
- See also (possible match) A record, genealogical, biographical, statistical, of Thomas Stanton, of Connecticut, and his descendants. 1635-1891, by William Alonzo Stanton.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Benjamin Stanton.
- Lineage Book Vol 19 #18727 [Link]
- Bradford Shirley Jr's obituary [Link]
- O´Hearn´s Histories, Vol. 1 Number 4 Cayuga County, New York.
- History of Cayuga County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers, Elliot G. Storke, 1879.
- Find A Grave Memorial #14258701.
- Shirley Association [Link]
- 1820 U.S. Federal Census Sempronius, Cayuga, New York
- 1830 U.S. Federal Census Sempronius, Cayuga, New York
- 1840 U.S. Federal Census Moravia, Cayuga, New York (Check - possibly Niles)
- 1850 U.S. Federal Census Richford, Tioga, New York
- 1860 U.S. Federal Census Richford, Tioga, New York
- 1865 New York State Census Summerhill, Cayuga, New York
- 1870 U.S. Federal Census Summerhill, Cayuga, New York
Genealogy is my hobby and the information provided here is a work in progress. I have loads of information to add and new finds are continually being discovered. If you have any corrections, additions, or comments to contribute, please use the comment box below. Visit the Latest Updates page to see when this Ancestor Profile page is updated.
Bradford D. Shirley
Maps & Research Links:
1822 or earlier
Bradford D. Shirley was born in Massachusetts in 1781. Bradford married first to a woman whose name has yet to be found. With her he had two children, Nancy and Bradford, Jr. His second marriage was to Parthenia Stanton, with whom he had two more children: Betsey and John Shirley.
According to Bradford Jr's 1882 obituary, he (Jr) was born in New Salem, Massachusetts in 1808. In 1813 the family moved to Sempronius, New York (since divided into Moravia, Niles and Sempronius). He lived in what became Niles on Lot #36. His father was counted on the census in Niles in 1840 and Bradford was counted in Moravia.
Bradford D. Shirley & Parthenia Stanton were the parents of my ancestor,
By his first wife:
- Nancy (1806-1869), who married Simpkins Snow.
- Bradford Shirley Jr., born in New Salem, Massachusetts, Oct. 24, 1808. He married Lucy Lee and lived in Moravia. He owned the Shirley House in Kelloggsville, the hotel he later sold to his son-in-law, Frank Partello. He was Justice of the Peace and owned a profitable saw mill, flax mill, spearmint and peppermint distillery, etc. (Findagrave)
By Parthenia Stanton, his second wife:
- Betsey Shirley, (1823-1896), who married Datus Ensign in 1843.
- John, who married Datus Ensign’s sister, Esther A. Ensign, in 1844.
Records, photos, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of Bradford D. Shirley:
I chose AncestryDNA for my DNA test. You can get yours on Amazon and have it in your hands in a couple days! Click here!
Your tributes, comments, corrections and additions are welcome!
Please login to leave a comment. Then reload this page!