Early Massachusetts vital records

These resources are devoted to early births, marriages and deaths in Massachusetts towns. Click here to see all Massachusetts genealogy resources.

These records are available thanks to Robert Henry Eddy's endowment to the New England Historical Genealogical Society. In 1901 $20,000 of the fund was set aside for the Eddy Town-Record Fund, for the purpose of publishing vital records from the towns of Massachusetts. The finished products are show here:

(Towns are listed alphabetically. This is a work in progress!)

Brewster Congregational Church Records 1700-1792

Marriage records from 1844-1854 and deaths from 1845-1861

Massachusetts Births 1841-1915 familysearch.org

Massachusetts Births and Christenings 1639-1915 familysearch.org

Name Changes in Massachusetts, 1780-1883

Pages 156-161 of The Mayflower Descendant, a quarterly magazine of Pilgrim genealogy and history

Vital records of the town of Sturbridge, Massachusetts, from the settlement of the town to 1816

This 1909 book contains abstracts of vital records of the Second Church of Scituate, Massachusetts, from 1645 to 1850.

Athol, Worcester County, was established in 1762. Prior to that it was a plantation called Payquage. In 1783, a part was used to form Orange, Franklin County, and in 1786 another part was taken to form Gerry (Phillipston). Parts of Athol were annexed to Royalston in 1799 and 1803. In 1806 a part of Gerry was annexed and in 1816 a part of Orange was annexed. In 1829, some common lands were added. Parts of New Salem were annexed in 1830 and 1837. (Vital Records of Athol, Massachusetts to 1849, births, marriages, deaths)

Prior to 1765, Becket, Berkshire County, was a plantation called Number Four. From 1765 to 1783 it was part of Middlefield. (Vital Records of Becket, Massachusetts to 1850, Births, marriages, deaths)

Bridgewater, Plymouth County, was established from a part of Duxbury called the New Plantation in 1656. West Bridgewater was created in 1822 and East Bridgewater was created in 1823. See also East Bridgewater and West Bridgewater. (Vital Records of Bridgewater, Massachusetts to 1850 (Births))

Bridgewater, Plymouth County, was established from a part of Duxbury called the New Plantation in 1656. West Bridgewater was created in 1822 and East Bridgewater was created in 1823. See also East Bridgewater and West Bridgewater. (Vital Records of Bridgewater, Massachusetts to 1850 (Marriages and Deaths))

Brockton was called North Bridgewater as early as 1821. Bridgewater was formerly part of Duxbury. The name Brockton was adopted in 1874. (Vital Records of Brockton, Massachusetts to 1850)

Quobauge was ordered to be named Brookfield in 1673, but it was not incorporated as a town until 1718. (Vital Records of Brookfield, Massachusetts to 1850)

Cambridge was called Newtowne from 1631 to 1638, when the name was changed to Cambridge. Lexington was formed from Cambridge in 1712. Part of Cambridge was annexed to Waltham in 1755. Parts of Charlestown were annexed to Cambridge in 1761 and 1802, and again in 1818 and 1820. Brighton was formed from Cambridge in 1816. In 1855 part of Watertown was annexed to Cambridge. (Vital Records of Cambridge, Massachusetts to 1850 (Births))

Cambridge was called Newtowne from 1631 to 1638, when the name was changed to Cambridge. Lexington was formed from Cambridge in 1712. Part of Cambridge was annexed to Waltham in 1755. Parts of Charlestown were annexed to Cambridge in 1761 and 1802, and again in 1818 and 1820. Brighton was formed from Cambridge in 1816. In 1855 part of Watertown was annexed to Cambridge. (Vital Records of Cambridge, Massachusetts to 1850 (Marriages and Deaths))

Chelmsford was created as a plantation between 1653 and 1653. Part of Chelmsford was established as Westford in 1729, to Dunstable in 1755, to Carlisle in 1780 and 1783, and to Lowell in 1726. (Vital Records of Chelmsford, Massachusetts to 1849)

Chester, Hampden County, was a plantation called Murrayfield until 1765. Norwich was formed from part of Murrayfield in 1773 and more land was added in 1781. In 1783 the name was changed to Chester and part of it was used to form Middlefield, Hampshire County. In 1799 another part was taken to form Worthington, Hampshire County. In 1853 part was annexed to Norwich. (Vital Records of Chester, Massachusetts to 1850)

Chilmark, Dukes County, was established from common land in 1694. In 1714, it was referred to as "the Mannor of Tisbury, commonly called Chilmark". (Vital Records of Chilmark, Massachusetts to 1849)

Conway, Franklin County, was formed from a part of Deerfield in 1767. It became a town in 1775 and in 1781 part of Shelburne was annexed. In 1785, part of Conway was annexed to Goshen, Hampshire County. In 1791 and 1811 parts of Deerfield were annexed again. In 1838 part of Conway was annexed to Buckland. (Vital Records of Conway, Massachusetts to 1850)

Dalton, Berkshire County, was formed from the plantation of Ashuelot Equivalent in 1784. In 1795 a part of Windsor was annexed to Dalton and in 1804 part of Dalton was used to form Partridgefield. (Vital Records of Dalton, Massachusetts to 1850)

Dana was form in 1801 from parts of Greenwich, Hardwick and Petersham. (Vital Records of Dana, Massachusetts to 1850)

Danvers was a part of Salem at the time of its formation in 1632. It was referred to as "The Farms", until it was set off as Salem Village in 1671-2. In 1710, the southern portion became Peabody. In 1728, Middleton was formed from part of it. In 1752 the village and Middle parishes of Salem became Davers, incorporated in 1757. (Vital Records of Danvers, Massachusetts to 1850)

Deerfield was recognized as a plantation in 1678. Conway was formed from Deerfield in 1767 as was Shelburne in 1768. Parts of Deerfield were then annexed to Conway again in 1791 and 1811, to Whately in 1810, and to Greenfield in 1896.

(Vital Records of Dorchester, Massachusetts 1826-1849)

Dunstable was incorporated in 1673. Parts were taken to form Nottingham, New Hampshire, in 1733, and more was taken for Litchfield, N.H., in 1735. In 1741, much of Dunstable became Nashua, N.H., and in 1747 parts of Groton and Nottingham were annexed to it. In 1752 part was annexed to Groton, and in 1753, part of Groton was annexed back to Dunstable. In 1754, part of Nottingham was annexed to it. In 1755, part of Chelmsford was annexed to it. In 1789, Tyngsborogh was established from it. Parts of Groton were annexed to it again in 1793, 1796, and 1803. (Vital Records of Dunstable, Massachusetts to 1850)

Bridgewater, Plymouth County, was established from a part of Duxbury called the New Plantation in 1656. West Bridgewater was created in 1822 and East Bridgewater was created in 1823. See also Bridgewater and West Bridgewater. (Vital Records of East Bridgewater, Massachusetts to 1850)

Edgartown, Dukes County, was formerly known as Great Harbour, established 1671. Bounds between Edgartown and Tisbury were established in 1830. (Vital Records of Edgartown, Massachusetts to 1850)

From 1679 to 1819, the territory was called the Chebacco Parish, a part of Ipswich. (Vital Records of Essex, Massachusetts to 1849)

Eight volumes of records to browse and search. (Vital Records of Fitchburgh, Massachusetts from 1764)

Gardner, Worcester County, Mass., was established June 27, 1785, from parts of Ashburnham, Templeton, Westminster and Winchendon. (Vital Records of Gardner, Massachusetts to 1849)

The town of Gill was established in September, 1793, from a part of Greenfield, Hampshire County. It became a part of Franklin County in 1811. A part of Northfield was annexed to Gill in 1795. The Great Island was also annexed to Gill after April 1, 1805. (Vital Records of Gill, Massachusetts from 1764)

Gloucester was first used as a fishing camp as early as 1624 by the Dorchester Company but in 1639 the General Court declared it a fishing plantation called Cape Anne. It was called Gloucester as early as 1642. Part of Gloucester was used to form Rockport in 1840. (Vital Records of Gloucester, Massachusetts to 1850 (Births, part 1 of 2))

Gloucester was first used as a fishing camp as early as 1624 by the Dorchester Company but in 1639 the General Court declared it a fishing plantation called Cape Anne. It was called Gloucester as early as 1642. Part of Gloucester was used to form Rockport in 1840. (Vital Records of Gloucester, Massachusetts to 1850 (Births, part 2 of 2))

Gloucester was first used as a fishing camp as early as 1624 by the Dorchester Company but in 1639 the General Court declared it a fishing plantation called Cape Anne. It was called Gloucester as early as 1642. Part of Gloucester was used to form Rockport in 1840. (Vital Records of Gloucester, Massachusetts to 1850 (Marriages))

Vital records of Great Barrington, Massachusetts, to the year 1850

History of Hadley, including the early history of Hatfield, South Hadley, Amherst and Granby, Massachusetts, also Family Genealogies. (Vital Records of Hadley, Massachusetts to 1850)

Until 1793, Hamilton was known as the "Hamlet", a part of Ipswich. The parish that was incorporated there in Oct 1713 was the Third Church of Ipswich. (Vital Records of Hamilton, Massachusetts to 1850)

(Vital Records of Hardwick, Massachusetts to 1850)

Hinsdale, Berkshire County, was formed from a part of Partridgefield (now Peru) in 1804. (Vital Records of Hinsdale, Massachusetts to 1850)

Holden was formed from Worcester in 1741. In 1804 and 1808 portions of Holden were annexed to Paxton and West Boylston. More was annexed to Paxton again in 1838. (Vital Records of Holden, Massachusetts to 1850)

Hubbardston, Worcester County, was set apart from Rutland and incorporated in 1775. Part of the town was set off to Princeton in 1810. (Vital Records of Hubbardston, Massachusetts to 1850)

Ipswich was formed from common land called Agawam. In 1648 the village at the New Meadows was set off to Topsfield. In 1785, a part of Ipswich was annexed to Rowley and in 1793 a portion called The Hamlet was set off to Hamilton. In 1819, Chebacco parish was set off and established as Essex and in 1846 part of Ipswich was annexed to Boxford. (Vital Records of Ipswich, Massachusetts to 1850)

Lee, Berkshire County, was established in 1777 from parts of Great Barrington and Washington, the Glass Works Grant, and a part of William's Grant. (Vital Records of Lee, Massachusetts to 1850)

Leominster, Worcester County, was established in 1740 from a part of Lancaster. Part of common lands called "No Town" were annexed to it in 1838. (Vital Records of Leominster, Massachusetts to 1850)

Lincoln was establishe from parts of Concord, Lexington and Weston in 1754. (Vital Records of Lincoln, Massachusetts to 1850)

Lynn began as early as 1629 when settlers from Salem resettled on the Saugus river, calling it Saugus until 1637. Lynn was reduced in 1644 to form Reading, in 1782 to form Lynnfield, and in 1815 to form Saugus. Lynn was incorporated as a city in 1850. 9Vital Records of Lynn, Massachusetts to 1849 (Births))

Lynn began as early as 1629 when settlers from Salem resettled on the Saugus river, calling it Saugus until 1637. Lynn was reduced in 1644 to form Reading, in 1782 to form Lynnfield, and in 1815 to form Saugus. Lynn was incorporated as a city in 1850. (Vital Records of Lynn, Massachusetts to 1849 (Marriages and Deaths))

Lynnfield was originally a part of Lynn, known as "Lynn End" until it was set off in 1782 and incorporated as a town in 1814. (Vital Records of Lynnfield, Massachusetts to 1850)

(Vital Records of Malden, Massachusetts from 1649 to 1850)

Marblehead was originally a part of Salem, given the name Marble-Harbor. The name Marblehead first appears in records from 1633 and was established as a town in 1649. (Vital Records of Marblehead, Massachusetts to 1849 (Births))

Marblehead was originally a part of Salem, given the name Marble-Harbor. The name Marblehead first appears in records from 1633 and was established as a town in 1649. (Vital Records of Marblehead, Massachusetts to 1849 (Marriages and Deaths))

Marblehead was originally a part of Salem, given the name Marble-Harbor. The name Marblehead first appears in records from 1633 and was established as a town in 1649. (Vital Records of Marblehead, Massachusetts to 1849 (Supplemental))

Marlborough, Middlesex County, was established as a plantation in 1660. A tract of land called Agaganquamasset was annexed to it in 1716. The part called Chauncy was established as Westborough in 1717, and another part became Southborough in 1727. Another part was annexed to Berlin in 1784 and part of Framingham was annexed to Marlborough in 1791. Part of Marlborough was annexed to Northborough in 1807, and to Bolton in 1829. Finally, a part of Southborough was annexed in 1843. (Vital Records of Marlborough, Massachusetts to 1849)

The town of Medway, Norfolk County, (formerly in Suffolk County until 1793) was established in 1713 from a part of Medfield. (Vital Records of Medway, Massachusetts to 1849)

Methuen was originally the western part of Haverhill, until 1725. In 1847, part of Methuen was used to form the new town of Lawrence, and in 1854 more land was annexed to to it. (Vital Records of Methuen, Massachusetts to 1849)

Middlefield, Hampshire County, was established in 1783 from parts for Becker, Chester, Partridgefield (now Peru), Washington, Worthington, and common lands called Prescott's Grant. (Vital Records of Middlefield, Massachusetts to 1850)

Millbury, formerly part of Sutton, was incorporated as a town in 1813. (Vital Records of Millbury, Massachusetts to 1849)

Montgomery was established in 1780 from parts of Westfield, Norwich, and Southampton. It was a part of Hampshire County until 1812, when Hampden County was formed. In 1792, Russell was formed from part of Montgomery. (Vital Records of Montgomery, Massachusetts to 1849)

New Salem was established as a district in 1753 and was made a town in 1775. In 1822 part of it was used to form Prescott. In 1824 part of Shutesbury was annexed to it. In 1830 part of it was annexed to Athol and in 1837, more went to Athol and some to Orange. (Vital Records of New Salem, Massachusetts to 1849)

Before 1635, the territory was called Wessacucon. Newburyport was set off from Newbury in 1764 and in 1819 a part of Newbury was set off to form Parson, which was changed to West Newbury in 1820. (Vital Records of Newbury, Massachusetts to 1850 (Vol. 1))

Before 1635, the territory was called Wessacucon. Newburyport was set off from Newbury in 1764 and in 1819 a part of Newbury was set off to form Parson, which was changed to West Newbury in 1820. (Vital Records of Newbury, Massachusetts to 1850 (Vol. 2 pt. 1))

Before 1635, the territory was called Wessacucon. Newburyport was set off from Newbury in 1764 and in 1819 a part of Newbury was set off to form Parson, which was changed to West Newbury in 1820. Vital Records of Newbury, Massachusetts to 1850 (Vol. 2 pt. 2)

Before 1635, the territory was called Wessacucon. Newburyport was set off from Newbury in 1764 and in 1819 a part of Newbury was set off to form Parson, which was changed to West Newbury in 1820. (Vital Records of West Newbury, Massachusetts to 1849)

Oakham was established from part of Rutland in 1762. It had been known as Rutland Right Wing. The town was incorporated in 1775. Vital Records of Oakham, Massachusetts to 1850

Formerly part of Rutland, Princeton was incorporated as a town in 1771. Vital Records of Princeton, Massachusetts to 1849

The town of Richmond, Berkshire County, was established in June, 1765, under the name of Richmont. Lenox was formed from Richmont in 1767. The name was changed to Richmond in 1785. (Vital Records of Richmond, Massachusetts to 1849)

Rochester, Plymouth County, was established in 1686, from common land called Sippican. Part of Rochester was annexed to Wareham in 1739, to Fairhaven in 1836, to Marion in 1852, and to Mattapoisett in 1857. (Vital Records of Rochester, Massachusetts to 1850)

Royalston was established from a tract called Royalshire in 1765. A portion was set off to Winchendon in 1780 and Orange, Franklin County, in 1783. A part of Gerry (afterwards Phillipston) was annexed to it in 1799 and parts of Athold were added in 1799 and again in 1803. (Vital Records of Royalston, Massachusetts to 1850)

Rutland was established from common lands called Naquag in 1713. Part of Rutland was used to form Princeton in 1759, Oakham in 1762, Paxton in 1765, Hubbardston in 1767, and Paxton in 1772. (Vital Records of Rutland, Massachusetts to 1850)

The locality of Salem was originally called Naumkeag by the Indians, and was settled by colonists in 1628. In 1643, Enon was formed from a part of Salem called Enon. The town of Manchester was formed from a part of Salem called Jeffryes Creeke in 1645. Part of Salem was set off to Marblehead in 1649. In 1668, Beverly was formed from a part of Salem called Bass River. In 1728, part of Salem was used to form Middleton. In 1752, the part of Salem called Salem Village, was set apart as Danvers. In 1753, part of Salem was annexed to Beverly. In 1836, Salem was incorporated as a city. (Vital Records of Salem, Massachusetts to 1849 (Vol. 1))

The locality of Salem was originally called Naumkeag by the Indians, and was settled by colonists in 1628. In 1643, Enon was formed from a part of Salem called Enon. The town of Manchester was formed from a part of Salem called Jeffryes Creeke in 1645. Part of Salem was set off to Marblehead in 1649. In 1668, Beverly was formed from a part of Salem called Bass River. In 1728, part of Salem was used to form Middleton. In 1752, the part of Salem called Salem Village, was set apart as Danvers. In 1753, part of Salem was annexed to Beverly. In 1836, Salem was incorporated as a city. (Vital Records of Salem, Massachusetts to 1849 (Vol. 2))

The locality of Salem was originally called Naumkeag by the Indians, and was settled by colonists in 1628. In 1643, Enon was formed from a part of Salem called Enon. The town of Manchester was formed from a part of Salem called Jeffryes Creeke in 1645. Part of Salem was set off to Marblehead in 1649. In 1668, Beverly was formed from a part of Salem called Bass River. In 1728, part of Salem was used to form Middleton. In 1752, the part of Salem called Salem Village, was set apart as Danvers. In 1753, part of Salem was annexed to Beverly. In 1836, Salem was incorporated as a city. (Vital Records of Salem, Massachusetts to 1849 (Vol. 3))

Salisbury was established in 1640 from common land called Colechester. In 1668, Amesbury was formed from part of Salisbury, with more land being annexed to Amesbury again in 1844 and 1846. (Vital Records of Salisbury, Massachusetts to 1850)

The town of Shirley, Middlesex County, was established as a district January 5, 1753, from a part of Groton. (Vital Records of Shirley, Massachusetts to 1850)

The northerly part of Charlestown, including all the lands on the east side of Woburn, south side of Reading, and west side of Malden. In 1734 parts of Malden and Reading were annexed to Stoneham. In 1853, part of Stoneham was annexed to Melrose. (Vital Records of Stoneham, Massachusetts to 1850)

Tewksbury was originally a camping ground of the Wamesit tribe of Indians. It was established as Billerica first, which was divided to form Terksbury in 1734.Part of Tewksbury was annexd to Lowell in 1834. (Vital Records of Tewksbury, Massachusetts to 1849)

Tisbury, Duke County, was formerly called of Middletowne, established in 1671 from common land. (Vital Records of Tisbury, Massachusetts to 1850)

Tyngsborough was originally part of Dunstable, until 1789. In 1792 and 1798, other parts of Dunstable were annexed to it. (Vital Records of Tyngsborough, Massachusetts to 1850)

Upton was established in 1735, from parts of Mendon, Sutton, and Uxbridge, as well as parts of Hopkinton, Middlesex County. In 1763, part of Upton was annexed to Westborough, and in 1808 another part of Hopkinton was annexed.(Vital Records of Upton, Massachusetts to 1850)

Washington, Berkshire County, was founded in April 1777 from the plantation called Hartwood. The town was split in Oct 1777 to form Lee, in March 1783 to form Middlefield, and parts were take to annex Lenox in 1795 and 1802.

Bridgewater, Plymouth County, was established from a part of Duxbury called the New Plantation in 1656. West Bridgewater was created in 1822 and East Bridgewater was created in 1823. See also East Bridgewater and Bridgewater. (Vital Records of West Bridgewater, Massachusetts to 1850)

Before 1635, the territory was called Wessacucon. Newburyport was set off from Newbury in 1764 and in 1819 a part of Newbury was set off to form Parson, which was changed to West Newbury in 1820. (Vital Records of West Newbury, Massachusetts to 1850)

West Stockbridge, Berkshire County, was established in 1774, from Stockbridge and was made a town in 1775. In 1793, more common land was annexed to West Stockbridge. In 1829, more land from Stockbridge was annexed. In 1847, Alfred was formed from a part of West Stockbridge. (Vital Records of West Stockbridge, Massachusetts to 1850)

The west Precinct of the Town of Chelmsford until Sept 1729. Also, in Sept 1730, part of Groton was annexed to Westford. (Vital Records of Westford, Massachusetts to 1850)

Worthington, Hampshire County, was established in 1768 from the plantation called Number Three. In 1783, Middlefield was formed from part of Worthington. In 1799, a part of Chester was annexed. (Vital Records of Worthington, Massachusetts to 1850)

Vital records of Abington, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Acton, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Andover, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Arlington, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Ashfield, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Attleborough, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Barre, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Bedford, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850

Vital records of Bellingham, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850

Vital records of Berlin, Massachusetts to the year 1899

Vital records of Beverly, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Bolton, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Boxborough, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850

Vital records of Boxford, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Bradford, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Brimfield, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850

Vital records of Burlington, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850

Vital records of Carlisle, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Carver, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850

Vital records of Charlemont, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Colrain, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Dartmouth, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850

Vital records of Dover, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Dracut, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Dudley, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Framingham, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Georgetown, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Grafton, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Granville, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Greenfield, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Groton, Massachusetts, to the year 1849

Vital records of Hanson, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Harvard, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Haverhill, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849

Vital records of Heath, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Holliston, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Hull, Massachusetts to the year 1850

Vital records of Kingston, Massachusetts, to the year 1850

Vital records of Lawrence, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849