A Bit of History. The first building ever erected in Wantage township, N.J., stood on the present site of De Camp's hotel, Deckertown. It was built by Peter Decker, a Hollander, who came from the Neversink valley in 1740. The first clearing of land was made on the farm of the late Thomas L. Ludlam...
-Port Jervis Evening Gazette 7-11-1885
In 1909, the following obituary was printed, giving an account of his descendants in Port Jervis.
Mrs. Catherine Decker Cunningham, widow of Henry C. Cunningham, passed away at 11:30 o'clock A.M., today (Monday), at her late residence on Spring Street, after an illness of several years duration. Stricken with paralysis seven years ago, since that time she has been a patient sufferer. In her long illness her daughter, Miss Henrietta Cunningham was untiring in her care and in her tender and loving devotion did much to solace her mother in her affliction.
Mrs. Cunningham was a daughter of Mark and Mary Decker and was born in the township of Wantage, January 17, 1830. She came with her parents to Port Jervis in 1839, and has since resided here. She is a descendant of Peter Decker, who founded Deckertown, N.J., now Sussex, and whose ancestors were among the first settlers of Ulster County and of the Minisink valley region.
Mrs. Cunningham was married on March 6, 1855, to Henry Clinton Cunningham, a prominent merchant of Port Jervis, whose demise occurred January 13, 1902. They united early in life with the Presbyterian church of which both were life-long members.
Mrs. Cunningham was an earnest Christian woman, devoted to her family, and was held in the highest esteem in this community where the greater part of her life was spent.
She is survived by one daughter, Miss Henrietta Cunningham, who resides at home; also by two brothers, William and George Decker, living at Waco, Texas, and two sisters, Miss Susan Decker, and Mary, widow of the late Hon. John D. Biddis, of Washington, D.C.
The funeral service will be held at the house, announcement of which will be made tomorrow.
-Port Jervis Evening Gazette 6-21-1909
See more Decker history on the Decker page or the "Other Decker" page.