In memory of Ezra Rood, my Maternal 6th Great-Grandfather on the HARVEY branch.
- Vol. P, Widow pensions under Acts of July 7, 1838, March 3, 1843, and February 2, 1848, 1836-48. Agencies: Maine, Portsmouth and Concord, N.H., Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Albany and New York City, New York, New Jersey, and Burlington, Vt. (NARA Series T718, Roll 17) [Link]
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962, database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDTF-N3K : 20 January 2020), Parthena Warner in entry for Josiah Warner Rood, 1806.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
- Original data: Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files (NARA microfilm publication M804, 2,670 rolls). Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Record Group 15. National Archives, Washington, D.C.
- Saratoga NY GenWeb "Ezra Rood".
- Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution. [Link]
Genealogy is my hobby and the information provided here is a work in progress. I have loads of information to add and new finds are continually being discovered. If you have any corrections, additions, or comments to contribute, please use the comment box below. Visit the Latest Updates page to see when this Ancestor Profile page is updated.
Honorable Soldier of the American Revolution
Maps & Research Links:
1760 Nov 18
Sturbridge, Worcester, Massachusetts
1788 Feb 11
Amherst, Hampshire, Massachusetts
1829 Mar 28
Plainfield, Otsego, New York
Winfield, New York (probably)
Ezra Rood was born in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, on Nov. 18, 1760. At the age of seventeen, he enlisted to serve three years in the Continental Army under Capt. John Shaw's Company (15th), in Col. John Bliss's regiment, one of their engagements being the Battle of Saratoga. He served from April 1, 1777, to December 31, 1779.
He married Parthena Warner in 1788 and died on March. 28, 1829 in Plainfield, New York. His burial place is unknown. (Possibly buried in West Winfield, Herkimer County, New York).
Notes by descendant, Eliza Rood, posted on Findagrave the following information:
"It is on record as he related to my great, great aunt, Parthena Barton, of his painful sickness, hardships and awful suffering with the cold and hunger in the war. 'Experiences of a Practical Christian Life' in the form of a Journal by Mrs. Parthena Barton, pp, 340, 341, and 342, verified by National Number 119.104."
Additional military information: men raised to serve in the Continental Army from Capt. Joshua Shaw's (15th) co., Col. John Bliss's (Hampshire Co.) regt.; residence, Monson; engaged for town of Monson; joined Capt. Coburn's co., Col. Alden's regt.; term, 3 years; also, Private, Capt. Asa Coburn's co., Col. John Brooks's regt.; return dated Albany, 12 Jan 1778; also, Capt. Coburn's co., (late) Col. Alden's regt.; return of men who were in camp before 15 Aug 1777, and who had not been absent subsequently except on furlough, etc., certified at Cherry Valley, 24 Feb 1779; also, Lieut. Col. William Stacy's co., 6th Mass. regt. formerly commanded by Col. Ichabod Alden; muster roll for Mar and Apr
1779, dated Fort Alden and sworn to in Quarters at Cherry Valley; also, Lieut. Colonel's co., Col. Brooks's regt.; from 1 Jan 1780 to 1 Apr 1780. Ref. MA01. Saratoga NY GenWeb.
Ezra Rood & Parthena Warner were the parents of my ancestor,
Other known children:
- Polly Warner, born May 11, 1789, married __ Ensign and died April 4, 1818.
- Reuben Warner, born March 16, 1791.
- Deborah Rood, born Dec. 11, 1792 and died June 2, 1807.
- Esther Rood, born Sept. 9, 1794.
- Sally Rood, born Aug. 30, 1796.
- Samuel Rood, born Oct. 8, 1799.
- Ezra Rood, born Feb. 25, 1802.
- Parthena Rood, born Feb. 25, 1802.
- Patty Brown Rood, born June 25, 1804 and died June 8, 1807.
- Josiah Warner Rood, born 19 Feb 1806 and christened 28 Dec 1806 in Gilboa, Schoharie, New York at the Reformed Dutch Church.
- Levy (Levi) Rood, born July 26, 1810.
Records, photos, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of Ezra Rood:
I chose AncestryDNA for my DNA test. You can get yours on Amazon and have it in your hands in a couple days! Click here!
Your tributes, comments, corrections and additions are welcome!
Please login to leave a comment. Then reload this page!