In memory of Joshua Burrill, my Paternal 5th Great-Grandfather on the LEONARD branch.
- The Family Record, by Truxton German Lamb (1811-1880), 1957, p. 26. [Link]
- Genealogy of the Fitts or Fitz Family in America, by James H. Fitts & James H. Fitts, 1869. [Link]
- The Last Will and Testament of Joshua Burrill [Link]
- Vital records of Oxford, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849, p. 139 [Link]
- History of the town of Oxford, Massachusetts, with genealogies and notes on persons and estates, by Daniels, George Fisher, 1820-1897, p. 507-510 [Link]
1820 U.S. Federal Census Ward, Worcester, Massachusetts
1830 U.S. Federal Census Elbridge, Onondaga, New York
1840 U.S. Federal Census Pembroke, Genesee, New York
1850 U.S. Federal Census Pembroke, Genesee, New York
1860 U.S. Federal Census Pembroke, Genesee, New York
1865 N.Y. State Census Pembroke, Genesee, New York
Genealogy is my hobby and the information provided here is a work in progress. I have loads of information to add and new finds are continually being discovered. If you have any corrections, additions, or comments to contribute, please use the comment box below. Visit the Latest Updates page to see when this Ancestor Profile page is updated.
Maps & Research Links:
1809 Mar 9
Oxford, Worcester, Massachusetts
1865 Apr 15
Pembroke, Genesee, New York
Old Buffalo Road Cemetery
East Pembroke, Genesee, New York
According to Fitts Genealogy, Joshua was from Thompson, Connecticut. He was a pioneer and hotel keeper in Onondaga County and in Righville, Genesee County, New York. He married Caroline Fitts, who died May 10, 1848. He married second to Merinda, who died Mar. 20, 1866, 11 months after he did.
He died at the age of 84 (estimated) on the very same day President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, April 15, 1865.
Joshua Burrill & Caroline Fitts were the parents of my ancestor,
- Martha (Patty) Burrill (1810-1869), married David Redman and had 12 children. She died May 7, 1869 at the age of 59y 3m and is buried in Pembroke.
- Brooksey Burrill (1812-1902), married John King (1806-1873). She was born Nov. 14, 1812.
- Arba F. Burrill (1813- ) married Irena Rice and had seven children including Marcious, Amasa, Almira, Sophronia, and Rosanna.
- Achsah Burrill (1814-1884) married James King and had seven known King children: John, Helen, Wilson, Marcus, Louisa, Carrie, and Arba Fitts King, who was killed at the Battle of Fredericksburg.
- Sophronia Burrill (1814/5-1883)
- Mahalath Burrill (1825-1886), married Jacob Sumeriski and had two known children: Addie and Jacob Sumeriski.
Records, photos, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of Joshua Burrill:
I chose AncestryDNA for my DNA test. You can get yours on Amazon and have it in your hands in a couple days! Click here!
Your tributes, comments, corrections and additions are welcome!
Please login to leave a comment. Then reload this page!