Updated: Jan 27, 2019
Albert Strong was born April 22, 1819 in Wyoming County, Pennsylvania. He was a Private in 3rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, Company E. (Details below). he died on March 15, 1899 in Terrytown, Bradford County, Pennsylvania. His descendants are many, though it appears the Strong name was not passed down through any of them because his known offspring were all daughters. Some of the genealogy is as follows:
(Generation 1) Albert Strong married Mary C. Newell and together they had at least five daughters.
(Generation 2) Lycenia L. Strong, a daughter of Albert & Mary Strong, married Oscar Mayo and together they had at least five children - four daughters and a son are known.
(Generation 3) Lydia Mayo, a daughter of Oscar & Lycenia Mayo, married Charles Decker and had several children.
(Generation 4) Delaphina "Mary" Decker, a daughter of Charles & Lydia Decker, married William H. Dickinson and together they, too, had several children.
(Generation 5) Margaret Dickinson, a daughter of William & Mary Dickinson, married Lloyd Reese.
SHOWN HERE IS ALBERT STRONG'S DAUGHTER, LYCENIA, AT LEFT WITH HER DAUGHTER LYDIA, LYDIA'S DAUGHTER MARY ("DELAPHINA"), AND MARY'S DAUGHTER AGNES.
IF ANYONE HAS A PHOTO OF ALBERT STRONG, PLEASE SHARE!
Albert Strong's military history:
3rd Heavy Artillery Regiment Pennsylvania Date of Organization: Nov 1, 1862 Muster Date: Nov 9, 1865
Excerpt from The Union Army, Vol. 1:
ONE HUNDRED and FIFTY-SECOND INFANTRY (THIRD HEAVY ARTILLERY) Third Artillery. - Col., Joseph Roberts ; Lieut.-Col., R. V. W. Howard; Majs., John A. Darling, J. S. Stevenson, F. Von Schilling, John A. Blake. This regiment, the 152nd of the line, was recruited from the state at large, rendezvoused at Philadelphia, and was mustered into the U. S. service at various periods during the latter part of the year 1862 and the early part of 1863. Cos. A and B had been organized as a battalion of marine artillery in 1861 by Hermann Segebarth, and garrisoned Fort Delaware. Late in the summer of 1862, authority was given Col. Segebarth to increase this battalion to a full regiment of heavy artillery and batteries D, F, G and H were recruited during the fall and winter and mustered in for three years. In Sept., 1862, Maj. Roberts, of the 4th regular artillery, was authorized by the war department to raise a picked battalion of artillery for service at Fortress Monroe and as fast as the companies were organized and mustered in they were sent to that point, where they were drilled in infantry, light and heavy artillery tactics. In the spring of 1863, by order of the war department, the commands of Segebarth and Roberts were consolidated to form the 3d Pa. heavy artillery. Co. H, Capt. William D. Rank, was detached for garrison duty in the defenses of Baltimore, where it remained throughout its term of service with a single exception, when a section was ordered to the front during the battle of Gettysburg and served as light artillery in McIntosh's brigade, 2nd cavalry division, losing 2 killed, 10 wounded and 1 missing. The headquarters of the regiment were at Fortress Monroe and from this point detachments were sent out, both by land and sea, to serve in any arm of the service and wherever troops were needed. During the invasion of Eastern Virginia by Longstreet's corps, in the Spring of 1863, Cos. A, B, F and G served in the defenses of Suffolk throughout the siege. Every company except H furnished detachments for service at the front in the campaigns of 1864-65, and they were engaged on the James, Chickahominy and Nansemond rivers in numerous battles, as well as in the capture of Fort Fisher. In the engagement at Smithfield, Va., in Feb., 1864, detachments from Cos. A and B, serving on the army gunboats, suffered a loss of 38 captured, many of whom afterwards died at Andersonville. A detachment of Co. A, serving on the gunboat Bombshell, at Plymouth, N. C., in April, 1864, lost 27 captured when the boat was sunk. During most of its term of service Co. I performed guard duty at the headquarters of the Army of the James and was present at the surrender of Lee. As its numbers exceeded the requirements of the army regulations, many of the original members volunteered to form the 188th Pa. infantry in connection with a number of unassigned recruits, though new recruits were added to the 152nd and its ranks were still more than full. Cos. D, E, G and M served with the Army of the James before Petersburg, being stationed at Bermuda Hundred; Co. E, with others, under command of Capt. Hazard, was posted at Fort Converse, covering the pontoon bridge across the Appomattox. Many details were furnished for work on the fortifications and for duty in the various arms of the service. After the close of hostilities, detachments of the 152nd served as guard for Jefferson Davis during his confinement in Fortress Monroe. Sixteen men of Co. F were lost on March 31, 1865, while returning to Fortress Monroe from Wilmington, N. C., on account of the destruction by fire of the transport General Lyon. From the foregoing sketch it will be noted that, though this command was originally organized for special duty at Fortress Monroe, it performed a large amount of duty at the front, both by land and sea. By reason of its excellent training in every branch of the service, it was enabled to furnish details when called upon for every branch of the artillery service, as well as in the infantry and naval arms. The regiment was mustered out as follows: Cos. A and B, at Fortress Monroe, Va., July 11, 1865; Co. H, at Baltimore, Md., July 25, 1865; the remaining companies, at Fortress Monroe, Va., Nov. 9, 1865.