Pitcher is a town on the western edge of Chenango County, New York, along the Otselic River. The first settlement in the area was made in 1794 and Pitcher was formed from parts of German and Lincklaen in 1827. It was named after Nathaniel Pitcher, the 8th Governor of New York. On the 1830 census, 1,214 people were counted on the census in Pitcher. In 1840, it reached it's peak population of 1,562, but afterwards began to decrease steadily. In 2010, only 803 people were counted on the census there.
This photo shows one of Pitcher's historic buildings, located at the corner of Pitcher Hill Road and Route 26 at 42.580896, -75.864593. For years, it had been the town's post office until the new one was built across the street.
Gazetteer and Business Directory of Chenango County, N.Y., 1869-1870 (at Archive.org)