Updated: Feb 2, 2019
The earliest people known to live in Summerhill, New York, were the Onondaga, part of the Iroquois Confederacy. After the American Revolution, the region became part of the Central New York Military Tract, land awarded to soldiers for their part in liberating America from British control. Since then, it has undergone several name and boundary changes.
Originally called Milton, while Cayuga County was still a part of Onondaga County, the region was first part of Genoa (settled in 1791). Genoa was divided in 1802, forming Locke. Groton was formed from Locke in 1817 and Summerill was formed from Locke in 1831, but was called "Plato" at the time The name was changed to Summerhill the following year, in 1832.
Summerhill was named after the town of Summerhill in County Meath, Ireland.
Summerhill Cemetery, located on Route 90, is located half a mile east of Salt Road in Summer Hill. Burials from 1806 to 1905 are recorded.
Use this Google street view to tour Summerhill. Head left to go toward town!
1. Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerhill,_County_Meath
2. Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerhill,_New_York
3. History of Cayuga County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers, by Storke, Elliot G., 1811-1879.