Updated: Feb 18, 2020
In the old days, before the State began collecting vital records, the only written records documenting such events were often those that were recorded by the church. In many cases those records were lost or destroyed but in rare cases, the records survived.
One such church, which successfully preserved some of its records, was the First Presbyterian Church of Syracuse, New York. The church was built in 1826 and originally stood on the corner of South Salina and Jefferson Streets in downtown Syracuse. In 1904 a new church was constructed at 620 W. Genesee Street. The church operated for a total of 186 years, giving its final service on Easter Sunday of 2012.
This book, published in 1902, by The Genealogical Society of Central New York, is a compilation of church records of marriages and baptisms performed between 1826 and 1850.
Read it here: [Alternate link]