Updated: Feb 3, 2019
Cemeteries are quiet, yet they speak volumes. The burial place of our ancestors could tell us more than we know.
1) Check other people buried in the same plot or section.
2) Search the cemetery index for other burials of the same last name.
3) Obtain a copy of the death record of the individual.
4) See what files, if any, the cemetery association keeps.
5) Find out if any other plots were purchased by the same person who paid for the plot.
6) If you cannot find the person's obituary, try searching their last name along with the name of the cemetery. Click here for searchable online newspapers.
For more tips and genealogy resources, check the Genealogy Links page.