In memory of Betsy A. Stowell, my Maternal 3rd Great-Grandmother on the HARVEY branch.
- 1860 Census Lisle, Cortland, New York (Betsy's mother, Nancy Brown, lived in the home with Betsy and Squires Barrows).
Genealogy is my hobby and the information provided here is a work in progress. I have loads of information to add and new finds are continually being discovered. If you have any corrections, additions, or comments to contribute, please use the comment box below. Visit the Latest Updates page to see when this Ancestor Profile page is updated.
Betsy A. Stowell
Maps & Research Links:
Lisle, Broome, New York
1875 or earlier
1906 Sept 24
Ithaca, Tompkins, New York
Berkshire, New York
Betsy A. Stowell was the daughter of Alpheus S. Stowell and Julia Brown. She was born in December of 1832 in Lisle, Broome County, New York, and her father died when she was about three years old. Betsy married 1st to Squires S. Barrows, son of Isaac Barrows and Cynthia Squires. The couple was living in Lisle in 1855 with one son, also named Squires. Four more children would follow before 1862 when Squires joined to fight in the Civil War in Company A, 137th New York Infantry. The regiment left from Binghamton on the 27th of September, 1862, and Squires died less than three months later, on the 8th of December, 1862. Mr. Barrow’s death, and ultimately the Civil War itself, hereby altered the course of history for our family. Betsy married 2nd to John Clark Harvey between 1870 and 1875, and together they had five children, for a total of ten for Betsy, as stated on the 1900 census. She married 3rd to Lorenzo Short (1840-1914) sometime between 1900 and the time of her death, which occurred on the 24th of September, 1906. She was 73. She was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Berkshire (Section D, Plot 48) under the name “Betsy Short”.
Betsy A. Stowell & John Clark Harvey were the parents of my ancestor,
Other known children:
With her first husband, Squires Barrows:
- Lavina Barrows, buried near John and Nancy Brown.
- Alpheus Barrows, born 1853. He married Vera Knickerbocker. Had children Luella Barrows and Dick Barrows. They lived in Lisle.
- James Nelson Barrows, born 1856. Married and had a daughter. Lived in Whitney Point.
- Alida Barrows, born 1858. She married William Couch and had a son named Leo who had a daughter named Ethel Couch. Ethel married William Walters and lived at Whitney Point. Leo's other daughter was Cecil Couch, a trained nurse.
- Olive Barrows, married Wallace Leet who died in 1927. Lived in Center Lisle.
With her second husband, John Clark Harvey:
- Lewis Clark Harvey. Lived in Messengerville.
- Newman Archelaus Harvey
- Lucy (Harvey) Kurtz of Syracuse, New York.
Records, photos, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of Betsy A. Stowell:
I chose AncestryDNA for my DNA test. You can get yours on Amazon and have it in your hands in a couple days! Click here!
Your tributes, comments, corrections and additions are welcome!
Please login to leave a comment. Then reload this page!