In memory of William McGinnis, my Paternal 3rd Great-Grandfather on the HOLLENBECK branch.
- GLAZIER, IRA A. AND MICHAEL TEPPER. The Famine Immigrants: Lists of Irish Immigrants Arriving at the Port of New York, 1846-1851. Vol. VI (June 1850-March 1851). Genealogical Publishing Co., 1985. pp. 151- 301. Rosa McGinnis, age 14, arrival at New York on the ship Iowa on Aug. 16, 1850.
- GLAZIER, IRA A., AND MICHAEL TEPPER. The Famine Immigrants: Lists of Irish Immigrants arriving at the Port of New York, 1846-1851. Vol. 3 (July 1848-March 1849). Genealogical Publishing Co., 1984, pp. 135-400. (Wm. McGinnis, age 21, arrived 1849 at New York.) *Possible match.
- "New York, County Marriages, 1847-1848; 1908-1936," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2CL-7ZTN : 18 March 2019), William McGinnis in entry for William McGinnis, 7 Feb 1912, Cortland, New York, United States; citing ref. ID , county clerk offices from various counties, New York; FHL microfilm 843,875.
- New York State Death Certificate #6314, William McGinnis, Feb. 1, 1899, Cincinnatus.
- 1850 U.S. Federal Census Lisle, Cortland, New York
- 1855 New York State Census, Lisle, Cortland, New York
- 1860 U.S. Federal Census Taylor, Cortland, New York
- 1865 New York State Census Freetown, Cortland, New York
- 1870 U.S. Federal Census Cincinnatus, Cortland, New York
- 1875 New York State Census Cincinnatus, Cortland, New York
- 1880 U.S. Federal Census Cincinnatus, Cortland, New York
- 1892 New York State Census Cincinnatus, Cortland, New York
Genealogy is my hobby and the information provided here is a work in progress. I have loads of information to add and new finds are continually being discovered. If you have any corrections, additions, or comments to contribute, please use the comment box below. Visit the Latest Updates page to see when this Ancestor Profile page is updated.
Maps & Research Links:
1859 or earlier
1899 Feb 1
Cincinnatus, Cortland County, New York
Saint Patrick's Cemetery
Whitney Point, Broome, NY
William McGinnis was born abt. 1827 in Ireland. He was counted on the census in Lisle, New York, in 1850, a laborer on the farm of Mills Todd. In 1855, he was still in Lisle, a servant living in the home of Moses & Ann Adams. He married Catherine Smith sometime before 1859 and purchased land on Fox Road in Cincinnatus by 1860 or 1865. Catharine died February 9, 1895, at the age of about 55, and William died on February 1, 1899, at the age of about 77. They are both buried at Saint Patrick's Cemetery in Whitney Point, Broome County, New York.
William McGinnis & Catherine Smith were the parents of my ancestor,
- Mary Ellen McGinnis (1859-1922) married Jasper Hollenbeck [Link] and had one daughter, Rose (Hollenbeck) Leonard.
- Rosanna McGinnis born June 13, 1863, married William Davern and had a son named Arthur Davern. She died Jan. 8, 1888 at the age of 24 and is buried beside her parents at St. Patrick Cemetery in Whitney Point, New York.
- Margaret McGinnis (1867-1920) was born in June of 1867 and, married Adelbert "Dell" J. Underwood, abt. 1891. They were divorced by 1915 and she died in Cortland on May 10, 1920.
- Charles N. McGinnis (1872-1934), married Anna Mae Turner, daughter of Dewitt & Louisa (Underwood) Turner. They had two daughters, Eleanor and Catherine. He is buried in McGraw Rural Cemetery.
- Catherine McGinnis (1874-1923), also known as "Rene", married Fred Turner, son of Dewitt Turner, of Groton. Their daughter, Hazel, married Homer Reynolds, son of Robert and Gertrude Reynolds. Homer and Hazel had a daughter they named Gertrude Reynolds.
- William McGinnis b. Nov. 18, 1878, married Lizzie Wylie, daughter of George and Lois (Gross) Wylie, on Feb. 7, 1912 in McGraw, NY. He was described as being medium height, medium build, and having light blue eyes and red hair when he registered for the draft in World War I. (View on FamilySearch). Will and Lizzie had a son named Basil and a daughter named Margaret (1923-2003).
- Grace McGinnis, was born in Nov. 1881. She married Earl J. Dunbar and had a daughter named Agnes who married Wright M. Talbot, son of John Talbot & Alice Wright, in 1934.
Records, photos, and memorabilia pertaining to the life of William McGinnis:
I chose AncestryDNA for my DNA test. You can get yours on Amazon and have it in your hands in a couple days! Click here!
Your tributes, comments, corrections and additions are welcome!
Please login to leave a comment. Then reload this page!